Established in 1891 by Benjamin Danby, our heritage as an independent Plumbers Merchant is unique and one that we are proud of
We started our business in Hull in Trippett street and Charlotte Street. In 1909 the business became incorporated as a private limited company. The business thrived and remained on the same site for a period of 38 years.
As trade increased new premises at Dock Street in Hull adjacent to Queen’s Dock quayside were acquired. Over a period of several years the Danby business made further and extensive acquisitions in George Street, a main city centre thoughfare, parallel to Dock Street.
The years that followed saw the Danby business go from strength to strength. By the mid 1960’s the company was trading throughout many regions of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire, from Whitby in the north to Skegness and Boston in the South.
In 1966, a depot was opened in Grimsby to service a growing number of customers in the south bank. A purpose built depot at Wilton Road Industrial Estate in Humberston was built three years later.
During the 1960’s growth of the company’s central heating business was phenomenal and additional premises were rented in Hull in Caroline Street and Princes Dock Side. In 1966, the Danby business continued to expand rapidly throughout the Yorkshire and Lincolnshire region. Further developments included the opening of a central heating depot at Boothferry Road, Hessle in 1967.
The 1970’s saw further growth for Danbys with the acquisition of Marshall and Gray (Yorkshire) Ltd a building merchants based in Yeadon near Leeds. This was an strategic move to service customers in the West Riding of Yorkshire area.
In 1989, Danby purchased the Cheltenham based Linfast Holdings for the wholly-owned subsidiary acquisition of Linfast Industrial Leisure, located in English Street, Hull. This extensive purpose built premises include a bonded warehouse renamed Danfast Industrial and Leisure, the business is compatible with Danby’s trading interests and customers particularly in the leisure industry. In 1991 we celebrated our centenary of 100 years in business. The Danfast acquisition in addition to the adjacent premises in English Street meant that ‘s Danby & Co Ltd owns 64,000sq.ft. of property on this site.
Today B. Danby & Co Ltd continues it success story operating from 8 sites throughout Hull and the Yorkshire area.
Our strategy for the future is maintain our independence and fulfils the needs of the plumbers merchants industry as a reliable, reputable and customer focussed company.